Was casting a batch of Cthulhus last night and had mixed a little extra plaster to finally make the prototypes for these since I had nothing better to do. Wanted to make some belt buckles for a while, especially Salvador's, but didn't really have the time or materials before. And then Krieg came out, who also has an awesome belt buckle. Then I started working with plaster recently which seemed perfect for the prototypes, so why not?
They were made by cutting heavy cardboard to shape and then were curved slightly before the plaster was spread over the surface about 1/4" thick, then sanded as smooth as could manage. Details were drawn on lightly and carved out with a chisel.
Not exact, but close enough. Tried to get the more prevalent gouges and scuffs as close to the concept art I was working from but the other weathering was pretty random as is with this kind of thing. These are just the prototypes for making the molds, and will eventually be cast in resin once I get some proper backings. Just painted roughly to get an idea of the colors and contrast since these aren't the final versions, but I think they look good so far. May or may not end up redoing Salvador's because the skull isn't quite right, but I dunno. Going to have better photos once the resin versions are done.
Kind of want to make Gaige's buckle next if I can convince a friend of mine to be Mechromancer for the next convention. : )
Also have a Fallout 3 vault suit style buckle sitting around that I started making waaay back that was never finished because I didn't know how to do resin at that point... That'll be coming up soon as well. And then there's the Arzach buckle that needs resculpting too.